The new project does a lot of good things. Unfortunately, it didn't make it so that my website could connect to the database.
The error message I finished last week with told me that the name pipes weren't working. That was still the case this week. It's irritating because I did the vanilla installation of everything and accepted the defaults. Honestly, I think that should guarantee success.However, I have won this battle. I started reading the help to learn about this pipes business. It turns out that, by default, MSSQL listens on the pipe named
UPDATE, 6/27/10: Doing this requires accessing:
Start->Microsoft SQL Server->Configuration TOols->SQL Server Configuration Manager
Then, in the left column click on
SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration->Protocols for MSSQLSERVER->properties
This will open a list of protocols in the right pane.
Double click on Named Pipes Properties and you will see a place to enter the Pipe Name (and enable it).
That's easy, right? I hate these people, even all these months later.
1) Make a website. I think you can use something as simple as a folder with Default.aspx (containing regular html). Maybe there are other file types. That will be tomorrow's challenge.2) Add IUSR to its permissions with Properties->Security->edit->add->enter object name->full permissions. UPDATE: it's a week or so later. I just added a new local host to my computer. It wouldn't work until I also added IIS_IUSRS. Apparently both are needed. 3) Go to IIS7 manager (control panel->administrative tools->IIS), click the outline in the left column until you see Sites. Right-click->Properties->add website. Enter things like I showed in the screen shot of the first post. 4) Edit C:\\system32\drivers\etc\hosts with Notepad in admin mode. Add a line like "127.0.0.1 www.sandbox.local" and save. It turns out that this is effective immediately. 5) Try the site. 6) Scream Eureka and make a cocktail. Accomplishment has been achieved.